Friday, December 24, 2010

The Dark Side of Christmas

This is to the lonely hearts. This is to the struggle and pain. This is not to the joy often associated with Christmas, but to the hatred that is also there, hidden ever so silently.
This time of year is often a joyous one for all. It's filled with friend and family, gifts and praise, food and laughter. It's my favorite holiday, but also my most hated. Don't get me wrong, I've never had a bad Christmas. On the contrary, this time of year is always wonderful to me and I'm truly blessed.
I hate it because I know it's not that way for everybody. There's always that lingering thought in the back of my mind that there are people out there who are all alone for the holiday. They have no tree, no gifts, no family, no food - nothing. Whether it be the homeless or just those down on their luck, this holiday brings not only the greatest happiness to some, but also the greatest sadness for others.
So this post is to you. It's not much, and I know most hurting people won't read it, but here it is. There is hope, and there is help. It always gets better. Keep your head up, and your heart as well.

May you feel peace tonight. May you feel loved. May you know that you are not alone and that when all feels lost, there is hope.

This is to you.

"If you feel like crap tonight, please know you're not alone. If you wish your life looked different, please know you're not alone. If you feel abandoned and haunted, please know you're not alone. If you feel overwhelmed by questions and pain, please know you're not alone."
- To Write Love On Her Arms

No comments: